Saturday, April 26, 2014

Tutorial: How To Neatly Stitch Knitted Squares Together





Thank-you for all of your lovely comments on my blanket! I've been asked by a few of you how I stitched it together, what method and thread I used and so on, so I thought that a little tutorial was in order. All the photos above are of the back of the blanket so that you can see what it looks like. All of the stitching is invisible at the front, and only a few stitches can be seen on the back too. 
Please bear with me as this is the first tutorial I have written. I hope it makes sense and of course if any of you have any more questions please feel free to email me or leave a comment. :-).

..............................................

I knitted my blanket in various novelty yarns, most of which were quite thick, although some were also very thin. I made them all roughly the same size and knitted most in Garter Stitch, although the ones with clearer stitch definition I did in Stocking Stitch. If your squares aren't exactly the same size it doesn't matter as you can kind of stretch them a little when you stitch them together :-)

..............................................

To stitch together your blanket you will need 
Crochet Cotton - I used a pastel rainbow as it's what I had
A Wool Needle
Scissors 


  1. Lay 2 squares flat side by side, right sides down.. Thread your needle with a good length of cotton and tie a double knot at the end
  2. Put the needle through 1 stitch on the back of your square (just glance at the front and make sure that you can't see the needle or thread). Pull gently through.
  3. Go through the same place again to secure the thread.
  4. Line the edge of your squares up

5. Put your needle through the edge of the second square, again making sure that you can't see needle or thread at the front. 
6. & 7. Pull through firmly 
8. Continue to stitch from side to side, keeping stitches firm and checking from time to time that you can't see the stitching on the front.


9. The front of your work should appear seamless like this


 10. When you come to the end tie off firmly and rethread your needle to begin the next square.


..............................................
  
I hope this helps those of you who asked with your blanket stitching! 
If you've got a favourite method of stitching together blankets, please feel free to share it in the comments below :-)

I hope you're having a good weekend!
I'll be back later this week to share some photos of our latest little addition to the farm.

Sarah x


4 comments

Hello! Please don't be shy - leave a comment, answer a question or tell your own story! I love the conversation and community - it's what blogging is all about x

You don't need an account to comment, simply use the Anonymous option or Name/URL

© Say Little Hen
Maira Gall